Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Introduce YourselfThu Dec 17, 2020 11:04 amProject: HonorDylan GatesThu Dec 17, 2020 1:45 amDylan GatesJoseph HollandThu Dec 17, 2020 1:01 amJoseph HollandArthan ArdeleanThu Dec 17, 2020 1:01 amAthan ArdeleanPROVING GROUND #9 12/4/20: GLADIATOR CONTESTSSat Dec 05, 2020 3:52 amProject: HonorThe Dragon LadySat Dec 05, 2020 3:17 amElena Rodriguez/ TDLChapter 4: All Roads Lead To LegacyThu Dec 03, 2020 5:58 amJames RavenTHE BUTTERFLY EFFECT: RAGNAROKThu Dec 03, 2020 5:54 amKallie ReznikCollateral DamageThu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 amContessa Floran
Top posting users this week
No user
Current Champions

Grand Champion - Dickie Watson

X-Factor Champion - Indy Darling

Warrior Rising Champion - Sarah Roberts

Tag Team Champions - Vacant
Upcoming Shows
Twitter
Affiliates

Go down
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Don't Poke the Bear Empty Don't Poke the Bear

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:26 pm
By the age of 19, Indy Darling was already making his rounds on the independent circuit, not in search of fame, fortune, or even championship gold, but in an attempt to get his name into the ears of as many promoters as possible. With the help of Doc Miyagi, he had been booked on the east coast, the west coast, and the Midwest, with his sights set on tours of Mexico, Japan, and the UK. Yet before he could gain the experience those countries offered, Doc had another stop in mind for the young man who would soon become “Everyone’s Favorite”. 

Salmon Arm, British Columbia - 2015

The Moose Knuckle Lodge on the outskirts of town was nothing like the bars you could find within the city limits. This building was two stories tall and resembled a cross between a barn and a warehouse, with a thick wooden exterior painted red, an absence of windows decorating its walls, and a pair of entrances facing its graveled parking lot. One entrance was where patrons would enter and pay their cover charge for whatever entertainment had been arranged for that evening. The other was a pair of sliding cargo doors, mainly used for the delivery of alcohol and equipment. 

On this frigid Friday night in early November, the men and women who spent weeks from home cultivating the resources from the surrounding forests, gathered into the lodge wanting nothing more than booze to warm their stomachs and entertainment to take their minds off a long work week.

The first level of the building was set up with tables and booths along the right and left sides, with a long bar occupying the far end. In the center of this was the open area designated for the evening’s entertainment, and on this night it was occupied by an elevated platform that served as a makeshift stage, surrounded on all sides by walls of heavy cattle panels and chain-link fencing. The second level of the building was little more than a balcony over the first level’s bar and seating areas, accessed by a pair of staircases rising from the front of the building where patrons stumbled in from the cold. 

On the night in question, all three sides of the balcony were crowded with men and women leaning on the wooden railings, peering down at the ramshackle cage below them. The booths, tables, and bar had been full when Indy Darling first entered the cage, but they quickly cleared out upon his appearance, as if the blue-collar Canadians sensed that the diversion from daily life was about to begin. As they gave up their seats to press closer to the enclosed structure, Indy looked up at the balcony and could not help but smile as the inebriated crowd mocked him from their perch.

Doc Miyagi stood outside the cage door, which had been secured with a chain and padlock, ensuring his protégé that it was nothing more than a formality. As Indy felt his adrenaline rise, he wondered what his opponent would be like. He had never heard of The Mighty Theodore before, and the promoter had been coy concerning details about the formidable Canadian Champion. However, Doc had assured Indy that he could handle the challenge, and that the lack of preparedness concerning his opponent would serve an important lesson in his budding career in professional wrestling. 

Indy did not share in his manager’s confidence, but he did trust the old man when it came to matters of his training and well-being. He understood that entering a match against a mystery opponent was something he would potentially face in the future, and one of the many lessons he learned from his father was to be prepared for any eventuality. Clive Darling had often told him that turning away from a challenge was akin to turning away from an opportunity. On that cold November night north of the border, Indy was prepared to face that lesson head-on.

Indianapolis, Indiana - Present Day

Proving Ground hadn’t gone as Indy had hoped, but it was hardly the first time that happened during his time with Project: Honor. He went into his debut match expecting a victory, only to be disappointed when Caliban beat him to the punch. He went into Rage in the Cage expecting to have his ass handed to him, only to come within inches of winning the entire thing. He went into his match with Colton Saint expecting his losses to mount in regards to his record, only to shock himself and the world by becoming X-Factor Champion. Finally, he went into a match with Sarah Roberts as his partner, expecting her to hold up to her end of their uneasy alliance, only to see her drop the ball and give John Nash Strader a shot of momentum. So what was on deck for the next event? A night of open challenges and a continued streak of expecting the unexpected.

When the event was announced, the possibilities began to run through Indy’s mind. He could finally challenge Caliban to a one-on-one match to settle their on-again-off-again rivalry. As a new champion, he could offer an opportunity to one of the unique up-and-comers who had caught his eye, such as Pat the Postman. He could even throw caution to the wind and go for broke, challenging the man himself, Grand Champion Dickie Watson. It was something he wanted to discuss with Doc and consider carefully, ultimately deciding to be patient and sleep on it. That’s when the unexpected reared its angry head again, as Mark Hunter stepped up to issue a challenge of his own.

With the Project: Honor roster in a constant state of flux between the hopeful arrivals and disgruntled departures, Indy had not had the opportunity to study up on Mark Hunter, a man who called himself “The Straight Shooter”. It was a situation he intended to rectify as he sat in Miyagi’s warehouse gym, searching for matches and promos involving the native Englishman.

Salmon Arm, 2015

As the crowd continued to fill their bodies with various forms of alcohol, Indy casually examined the cage that surrounded him. It was like nothing he had seen before, more resembling something that you would see at a county fair instead of a wrestling show. At the opposite end of the cage from where he had entered the so-called ring was a smaller structure, covered by a black canvas tarp and butted up against an open section of fencing. Indy assumed that this is where his opponent would emerge, likely portraying some kind of animalistic gimmick meant to amuse the masses.

Indy began to pace back and forth on his side of the ropeless ring, his nerves rising alongside his adrenaline and the drunken shouts from the unruly crowd. He took a moment to glance at Doc Miyagi, who returned his glance with a wide, toothy smile and a double thumbs up. At that moment, a man began to address the audience on the house microphone.

Emcee: “Ladies and gentlemen, I have just one question for all of you tonight.”

The bartender-turned-ring announcer paused as the patrons whooped and hollered in response to his opening statement.

Emcee: “Are you ready?”

From behind his sunglasses, Indy rolled his eyes at the stereotypical introduction, but the crowd did not share in his ambivalence. After they responded with a drunken roar, the announcer continued.

Emcee: “No! I said, are...you...ready?”

Indy came to a rest in his corner, shifting his weight from one leg to the other in an attempt to loosen them up before his opponent’s arrival, as the crowd continued to play into the announcer’s hands.

Emcee: “Hell yes! I’m ready too! Now let’s find out who has been brave enough to answer the open challenge to face The Mighty Theodore here tonight! He comes to us from Indianapolis, Indiana...he weighs a buck-eighty soaking wet...and he’s decided to wear sunglasses in western Canada during the month of November...give it up for tonight’s appetizer… Mindy Starling!”

With the insulting introduction and butchering of his ring name complete, Indy whipped the hood of his ring jacket back with one hand while removing his sunglasses with the other, spreading both arms wide open as the crowd responded with jeers and laughter. He then kneeled down to slide his entrance gear out to Doc Miyagi through a gap between the door and the cage, whispering to his manager in an annoyed tone.

Indy: “Mindy Starling? Really? That’s not how I planned on getting my name out there, Doc.”

Doc Miyagi: “Relax, kid. He’s just having some fun at your expense. You can use that anger against Theodore in a minute.”

Indy turned back towards the ring, leaning against the wooden post in his corner with his eyes focused on the tarped structure that had been crudely fastened to the cage wall.

Emcee: “Now are you ready for his opponent?”

Indy cracked his neck, growing more impatient with every stalling tactic used by the announcer.

Emcee: “Then let’s bring him out! From right here in British Columbia...weighing in at 240 kilos…”

Indy briefly tried to convert kilos into pounds, silently cursing the American standards of measurement. Had he known that it was well over 500 pounds, his look of concern would have been much greater.

Emcee: “...He hasn’t had a bite to eat all day...he’s in a bad mood...and he’s undefeated in the sport of wrestling...give it up for the British Columbia Heavyweight Wrestling Champion...The Mighty Theodore!”

On that verbal signal, a pair of men pulled the canvas tarp away from the side structure, revealing a smaller cage underneath. The roar of the crowd and sudden surge of light hit Indy’s opponent like a shock to the system and sent him bursting into the main cage. Then, standing up on both hind legs to tower over Indy Darling, The Mighty Theodore revealed the full measure of his intimidating presence.

Indy: “Holy fucking shit!”

Indy felt his eyes nearly bulge out of his head as Theodore let out a mighty roar from deep within his carnivorous frame. Indy then grabbed the cage door with both hands and shouted to his manager with a panicked cry.

Indy: “Open the fucking door! You didn’t say anything about fighting a goddamned grizzly bear!”

Indianapolis, Present Day

Indy’s research into Mark Hunter had turned up some interesting results. He had seen success at various levels of the business, had a good ten years of experience over Indy, and generally wasn’t liked by either fans or fellow competitors. All of these facts made Indy look forward to the fight even more, because they would make a victory mean more as well.

With his research complete for the time being, Indy started to focus on how he would deal with Mark Hunter between the ropes. Working with Doc in the ring, he focused on counters and reversals for some of Hunter’s signature holds, from the “Last Act” to the “Extreme Dream”. His training had reached the point where his own move-set came naturally, almost instinctively in some cases. Indy knew how to shut his mind down during a match and go with the flow, and in most cases that was the best approach.

Indy knew he couldn’t do that in the ring with Doc. The old man knew him better than anyone, and despite never reaching stardom in the business, he was more than capable of tying people into knots. When Doc wrenched Indy’s arm behind him and barked commands of what reversal to attempt, he wasn’t thinking about his manager but continued to focus his thoughts on Mark Hunter. That hesitation earned him a smack across the back of his head.

Doc Miyagi: “Focus! I know you’ve got the next Proving Ground and Unbreakable Resolution on your mind, but you need to stay focused! You can’t be thinking about Strader when you’re in the ring with Hunter, and you’d better not be thinking about Hunter when you’re in the ring with me!”

Indy glanced over at his shoulder, recognizing the tail-end of the scar earned during his earliest days in the business. Then, with his attention focused on the wrenched arm, Indy threw a back elbow from the other side, connecting with Doc just enough to break his concentration. Indy then twisted out of the move, hooked Doc’s head, and pivoted in order to take him to the mat with a side headlock takeover.

Doc Miyagi: “Better! Just remember, you’ve got to take one challenge at a time. You’ll get your chance at Strader, but first, you put down Hunter!”

Salmon Arm, 2015

Indy had no choice but to duck behind the bear, avoiding its massive paws as it reached towards him like an overgrown infant in search of a hug. Staying at the edge of the ring, Indy danced around the wrestling bear, a panicked expression plastered on his face. Doc clapped and encouraged him from ringside, the drunken patrons roared for blood, and Theodore himself continued to turn in circles in an effort to keep Indy in his sights.

Indy: “Open the goddamn door, Doc!”

He had considered that Theodore might be a brutish brawler, a high flying daredevil, or a technical marvel, but not in his wildest dreams did Indy expect him to be a fully grown Canadian Grizzly Bear. Indy was careful not to back himself into a corner, thus leaving no means of escape, but the wooden corner posts also provided him with the best means of getting the high ground.

Reaching the top of a post, Indy’s hair brushed against the overhead fencing that kept him from escaping over the side as Theodore lumbered toward him. He proceeded to throw a few kicks at the bear’s maw to little effect, before giving up on his high ground strategy to dive over the bear and back to the mat. With a few precious seconds, Indy raced to the cage door and began to shake it violently.

Doc Miyagi: “What are you doing? Get in there and wrestle!”

Indy: “I’m not going to fight a bear! He’ll rip me to pieces!”

Doc Miyagi: “Don’t be ridiculous! He’s been trained to wrestle opponents, not eviscerate them! At least that’s what the bartender told me…”

Realizing that his manager was not going to aid in his escape, Indy turned back just as Theodore was closing in. He ducked under another bear hug attempt, rolled to his feet, and immediately fired off a superkick to the bear’s jaw. An audible “ooooh” rose up from the crowd as the bear stood in shock for a few moments, before finally erupting with a ferocious roar. Having clearly pissed the animal off, Indy fell backwards into a seated position and scrambled away as quickly as possible. This time the bear did not attempt to hug Indy, but took a swipe at him with a massive paw. The young wrestler felt the flesh on his shoulder tear open as a shockwave of pain rippled through his body. 

Desperate to get away, Indy then rolled under the animal’s legs, once again coming to rest against the cage door. As the drunken patrons continued to cheer and chant for blood, Indy made one last attempt at begging his manager for mercy.

Indy: “Did that look like a wrestling hold, Doc? Now let me out of this cage!”

Doc Miyagi: “Kid, if you can just last against him for a few more minutes, we’ll have one hell of a payday! Besides...I don’t have the key...”

Looking across the ring at Theodore, Indy did his best to come up with a plan. Upon deciding on a course of action, he pleaded with Doc one last time.

Indy: “My kendo stick! Give me my kendo stick! It’s under the ring!”

No longer questioning his protégé, Doc got on his knees and quickly found the weapon in question. He then slid it between the crack in the door into the greedy hands of Indy Darling. Getting back on his feet and holding the kendo stick like a medieval sword, the young competitor prepared to make his last stand.

Indianapolis, Present Day

With a break in his training, Indy sits on the edge of Doc’s practice ring, a lit cigarette between his lips and his father’s sunglasses covering his eyes. He takes a drag as he looks at the camera, ready to address the Project: Honor audience.

Indy: “So last week turned out to be a major letdown. Sarah Roberts seemed to be half the competitor that she was against Zane or inside the Rage in the Cage. I guess that’s just the way things turn out sometimes. I’m not going to throw around the blame because I don’t know what Sarah is dealing with outside of the ring, but I do know that it wasn’t “Everyone’s Favorite” shoulders that were pinned to the mat. So Caliban, it seems as if our tug-of-war with the puppet strings continues on. We’ve been in three matches against each other, and despite not winning any of them, you have yet to defeat me. Maybe someday we’ll get a decisive answer between the two of us. Until then, I wish you the best in your future endeavors.”

Indy takes another drag before pulling the cigarette from his lips and flicking some ashes to the ringside area.

Indy: “As for John Nash Strader, we both know that our day in the ring is coming sooner rather than later. Enjoy your win in the tag match. Enjoy your taunts. Enjoy that feeling while you can. Sure, you’ve been impressive in all of your matches, but can you honestly say that you’ve been fully pushed to your limits so far in Project: Honor? In my four matches, I have faced at least 10 hungry competitors at the top of their game. Can you say the same with a straight face? So we’ll have our dance, John, and when we do, I promise to give you the kind of challenge capable of knocking that smirk off your face.” 

He slides his sunglasses on top of his head and takes the last drag from his cigarette before flicking it out of sight.

Indy: “Enough about JNS for now. There’ll be another day to give him the attention he so desperately desires. The current matter at hand is someone I didn’t expect. Hell, I didn’t even know who he was until he issued his challenge. Project: Honor threw us all a swerve when they scheduled a night of Gladiator Contests, allowing us to issue and accept challenges to nearly anyone on the roster. As current X-Factor Champion, I shouldn’t have been surprised that one of those challenges was directed at “Everyone’s Favorite”. In fact, before winning this title I would have made a similar move.”

Indy picks up the X-Factor Championship from the apron, briefly holds it in his hands and looks over its polished surface, and finally drapes it over his shoulder.

Indy: “Make no mistake, I may not have known much about Mark Hunter before his challenge, even if his name did ring a few bells, but I haven’t spent the days since then twiddling my thumbs. I’ve done my research, I’ve watched his old promos, I’ve studied his matches. I know where he’s been, and more importantly, I know what he’s done. Now comes the part where I make a few smart comments to get under his skin, right? I could say something cliché like “The Hunter has become the hunted” or “don’t hunt what you can’t kill”. Yeah, that might be worth a cheap laugh or two, but I’m just not in the mood for shits and giggles.”

He slides off the edge of the apron, landing on his feet and crossing his arms in front of his chest, continuing to focus on the camera.

Indy: “Look, Mark. You had the guts to walk into your first match by issuing a challenge to a reigning champion. In your mind, you probably thought that it would make you look brave or show off how hungry you are. I admit, challenging Dickie Watson crossed my mind, but it wasn’t because I wanted to look tough for the other kids in class. It’s because I wanted to push myself to limits I haven’t reached yet. The world got a glimpse of what I could one day be capable of in my match with Colton Saint, but I saw something entirely different. I saw a passion for this business deep inside myself, one that is burning so hot that it can’t be extinguished. It woke up a hibernating bear inside of me, and now that bear is famished after a long winter’s sleep. It’s so hungry that nothing short of the best competitors in Project: Honor will satisfy it. It wants the best of the best.”

“Instead, it ends up with Mark Hunter.”

Indy reaches into the pocket of his sleeveless vest, fishing for another cigarette. After finding his treasure, he flips it in between his lips before flipping open his zippo. With a flash of light and a tilt of his head, the cigarette is lit and Indy takes a deep drag. He snaps his lighter closed and slides it back into his pocket, then returns his attention to the camera.

Indy: “Don’t misinterpret my words and think that I’m overlooking you, Mark. That’s not the case. You have to be a dangerous man for Project: Honor to even consider signing you. Anything less than that, and you’d be a liability. Their insurance rates are probably high enough without hiring some scrub that can’t defend himself. So yes, I admit that you are probably a very gifted competitor. You probably have what it takes to succeed here and add on to your legacy. You might even capture some gold of your own before it’s all said and done.”

A slight smirk crosses Indy’s face as he pats the championship belt on his shoulder.

Indy: “Title or non-title, you need to know that it won’t be this gold. As long as I'm the champion, you won’t take it away any easier than you would trying to extinguish my passion for the business. Xavier and I have become pretty good buddies, and if I won’t even let Kimberly Chase put her hands on him, what makes you think I’d give you the opportunity? A win over me at Proving Ground would put you into the title hunt, so putting you down now saves me trouble of having to do it down the road. In some ways, I should be thanking you for this opportunity. While my record is not the best in Project: Honor, I’m undefeated where it counts, and that’s in one-on-one matches. A win over an established veteran entering the company might just be exactly what the doctor ordered.”

Indy looks over his shoulder at Doc Miyagi in the distance, who looks up to give Indy a grin when he recognizes the pun. When the champion turns back to face the camera, his smirk has been replaced by a determined stare, a clear sign that it’s back to business.

Indy: “The time for talking’s just about done. All that’s left is 2 out of 3 falls between you and me. I learned a long time ago to be prepared for any challenge, to be prepared for any kind of opponent and any kind of match. Rest assured that while this may be your Project: Honor debut, I am more than prepared to accept your challenge and show you exactly what this company is all about. I won’t be your stepping stone or your launching pad. I’m not about to open any doors for you or put out a welcome mat. We both have a lot to gain by winning this match, but you’re about to find out that the animal inside of me is just a little bit hungrier than the one inside of you. Not surprising when you’re comparing a bear to a snake.”

Taking a few steps away from the ring as he takes another drag from his cigarette, Indy draws near Doc Miyagi’s desk. He pauses for a moment as something catches his eye, which he then reaches down to grasp. He looks at the framed picture for a second before letting out a small chuckle and placing it back on the desk. As he returns his attention to the camera, we can see that it appears to be a picture of Indy and Doc standing alongside a grizzly bear.

Indy: “I might seem a little cocky, maybe even a bit overconfident. I guess that’s because I know something that Mark Hunter doesn’t. I know that this is Project: Honor, and that the talent here isn’t just good enough, it’s better than anywhere he’s been before. And being “Everyone’s Favorite”? That’s better than being Mark Hunter any day of the week.”

Indy makes a pair of guns with his fingers and shoots them at the camera as the scene reaches its conclusion.

Salmon Arm, 2015

*CRACK! CRACK! CRACK!*

The sound of the kendo stick striking the bear could be heard throughout the Moose Knuckle Lodge, with the drunks oohing and aahing after every blow. While Indy’s attack came from a place of desperation and panic, he could not be prepared for the outcome he witnessed next. Overcome by memories of his harsh training, Theodore recoiled from Indy like a scolded child, dropping off his hind legs to curl up on the surface of the makeshift ring. 

For a moment, Indy found himself in a state of shock, his adrenaline raging and the mix of cheers and boos ringing in his ears. At that moment, he felt overcome by guilt and regret. He no longer looked at Theodore as a wild beast or an unconquerable opponent, but as an abused animal forced into a fight against his will for the enjoyment of the masses. As a bell rang outside of the cage, Indy dropped his broken kendo stick to the mat, and slowly dropped to one knee.

Emcee: “The winner of the match...as a result of a disqualification...and still your British Columbia Heavyweight Champion...The Mighty Theodore!”

Indy carefully extended his hand toward the bear, his eyes locked with the animal’s. As he gave Theodore a few gentle scratches behind his ear, Indy heard the cage door open behind him. At this point, he was either oblivious to the official outcome of the match or unconcerned with being screwed out of the prize money by the greedy promoter. He was only concerned with making sure Theodore received the respect he deserved. 

Upon getting back to his feet, Indy glanced over his shoulder to see the promoter approaching him with a self-righteous grin. Without thinking, he immediately struck out with his left leg, planting a superkick under the man’s jaw. The promoter crumpled to the mat in a heap as the crowd roared in approval and began to chant “Mindy! Mindy!”. Doc Miyagi was in the ring seconds later, a concerned look on his face but at a loss for words.

Indy: “Doc, call my mother. Have her wire us enough money to get Theodore away from these idiots, and if she throws one of her fits, remind her what having an illegitimate son involved in an animal cruelty scandal could do for her re-election next year.”

Doc didn’t question his protege’s actions or his request, nor did the promoter put up much of a fight when Indy insisted that Theodore would be leaving his care. Before the pair made their way back to Indianapolis, they made sure that Theodore was settled into his new home, a wildlife sanctuary that had received a generous donation from an American politician. After snapping a few photos with the rescued animal, Doc and Indy made the long car trip back to the states and considered their next move.

Doc: “I’m sorry about that, kid. I really am. I really didn't think that one through. I promise, I’ll be more thorough in researching your next gig.”

Indy shrugged his shoulders and gave his manager a slight smile.

Indy: “Nah, it’s all good, Doc. Expect the unexpected, right? Always be prepared...”

Doc took his eyes off the road long enough to give his student a genuine and caring smile.

Doc: “You’re one of the good ones, Indy.”

Indy: “Good enough, I guess.”

Doc: “No, you’re Indy Darling, and that’s not just good enough, it’s better than the rest.”

There was a brief silence between the two men, until the realization began to dawn on Doc Miyagi. Moments later, it seemed to sink in for Indy as well, and the two men exchanged another pair of smiles as images of t-shirts printed with the catch phrase began to dance in their heads.

Indy: “Well...better than Mindy Starling at least…”
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum