Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Introduce YourselfThu Dec 17, 2020 11:04 amProject: HonorDylan GatesThu Dec 17, 2020 1:45 amDylan GatesJoseph HollandThu Dec 17, 2020 1:01 amJoseph HollandArthan ArdeleanThu Dec 17, 2020 1:01 amAthan ArdeleanPROVING GROUND #9 12/4/20: GLADIATOR CONTESTSSat Dec 05, 2020 3:52 amProject: HonorThe Dragon LadySat Dec 05, 2020 3:17 amElena Rodriguez/ TDLChapter 4: All Roads Lead To LegacyThu Dec 03, 2020 5:58 amJames RavenTHE BUTTERFLY EFFECT: RAGNAROKThu Dec 03, 2020 5:54 amKallie ReznikCollateral DamageThu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 amContessa Floran
Top posting users this week
No user
Current Champions

Grand Champion - Dickie Watson

X-Factor Champion - Indy Darling

Warrior Rising Champion - Sarah Roberts

Tag Team Champions - Vacant
Upcoming Shows
Twitter
Affiliates

Go down
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

They Can't Stop the Revolution Empty They Can't Stop the Revolution

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:14 pm
Following the conclusion of Proving Ground, Indy Darling caught a redeye out of North Carolina, content that he had made a statement to not only the fans, but to the Project: Honor locker room as well. While at the arena, he had heard rumblings that his debut match would happen on the next episode, and hoping to stay abreast of both the reaction to his debut and possible future opponents, Indy kept an eye on his Twitter for most of the flight. When reactions to the show started rolling in, they were just as positive as Indy expected. The dirt sheet writers complimented the top quality matches, the expert commentary, and the new talent that had shown up for the first time.

And yet, there was nothing about Indy Darling.

The members of the roster who had competed at Proving Ground, both winners and losers, began to make their post-show tweets. Excuses were made, new challenges issued, and there were proclamations about future successes aplenty. There were also reactions to the new faces who had appeared on camera for the first time.

Fan responses started to flood his Twitter feed, with most of them bragging about their favorite superstar’s victory or how Project: Honor was on its way to changing the game. Even the smart marks came out, saying what they would have done differently and pointing out what few flaws the show had. There were also the normal complaints about who was getting “the push” and who was being pushed aside.

By the time he landed in Indianapolis, he knew something had gone wrong. He just didn’t know what it could be. The cameraman seemed competent enough, and Indy had been filmed enough times to know that the red light was on the entire time he was in front of the camera. While Crystal Ward had been frustrated with his refusal to answer questions, he couldn’t imagine that she had the necessary stroke to pull his segment. Still, he knew that he couldn’t assume anything for sure until he saw the show for himself.

He didn’t bother to change clothes or wake up Doc Miyagi for his feedback when he arrived at the derelict building he called home. Instead, he went straight to the television Doc had installed near the ring so Indy could study footage of his opponents. Indy ignored his growling stomach and instead settled for a cigarette as he cued up Proving Ground on Netflix. Having already watched the show backstage, he opted to zoom through most of the matches, knowing he would have plenty of time to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the roster at a later date. When he reached the conclusion of Zane’s successful match against Daniel Avers, he stopped forwarding ahead and watched in silence. Only when the match ended and then immediately transitioned to the contest between Ryan Young and Alejandro Correa did he realize that his segment had officially been cut from the show. Just to be sure, he went back to fast forward, watching the rest of Proving Ground play out at high speed.

Doc woke up with a hangover early the next morning, which was nothing unusual for the retired mid-carder. He stumbled out of bed, slid his feet into his slippers, and groggily staggered onto the stairs that led from his living quarters in the loft. Upon reaching the main floor, Doc Miyagi paused to stare at the busted television laying on the bare, cement floor. He then turned his attention toward the ring, where Indy Darling was already working out. He watched with his eyes only half-open as Indy ducked from left to right, then launched into a forward roll before kipping up and shooting a lightning-like superkick at the training dummy propped against the turnbuckles. Indy then rolled backwards, popped back up, and dodged a few phantom punches before firing back at another training dummy in the opposite corner with a rising knee strike. When Doc finally realized that his protégé had no intention of stopping any time soon, he decided to intervene.

Doc Miyagi: So, I take it the debut didn’t go as planned. Someone jump you backstage? Did the promoter skip out with the cash from the gate?

Indy ignored his manager’s line of questioning, instead opting to slam one of the training dummies on the mat before ascending to the top turnbuckle. Doc rubbed his weary eyes and pressed his thumbs against his temples in an attempt to silence the throbbing in his brain before taking another shot.

Doc Miyagi: Let me guess...vegan catering? No quality ring rats? Give me something here, kid, I’m drowning.

Indy flipped off the turnbuckle with a picture-perfect shooting star press, a move he had nicknamed Clive’s Dive after his late father. After landing squarely on the dummy, Indy proceeded to kneel over it, landing a series of sharp elbows to where a real opponent’s head would be.

Indy Darling: They cut…

Elbow strike.

Indy Darling: ...my damn…

Elbow Strike.

Indy Darling: ...debut…

Elbow Strike.

Indy Darling: ...segment!

Doc scratched at the scalp underneath his white hair as Indy continued to take out his aggressions on the training dummy, slowly processing what he had just heard. Finally, after an obscenely loud and inconsiderate belch, he began to share in his student’s frustration. Realizing that any lack of TV time Indy had would ultimately affect his bank account, Doc quickly decided on a course of action.

Doc Miyagi: Never trust a goddamned promoter! Sonsofbitches! I’ll be in my office on the phone until this gets sorted out! You just...keep on doing what you’re doing!

With that, Doc tip-toed over the broken glass from the television, scooped up his cell phone, and headed toward the bathroom with the kind of stride that meant business had to be taken care of.

After a few hours, Doc has once again emerged from his “office” and has managed to convince Indy to take a short break and listen to reason. Indy sits on the edge of the ring apron with a lit cigarette hanging from his mouth, as Doc hovers nearby.

Doc Miyagi: First of all, I’ll have you know this wasn’t easy. That company had me playing phone tag for most of the morning. For some reason, they connected me to Lil Petey in the music department, who then managed to get me in contact with Crystal Ward’s assistant. They assured me that she had nothing to do with your segment getting dropped. After that, I had a very long conversation with someone named Charlie Schmidt, who insisted that Jonny C and Jay Vaughn were likely behind any problems in Project: Honor. At first I thought I had gotten to the bottom of things, before it became clear that Mr. Schmidt doesn’t even officially work for Project: Honor…

Indy Darling: Please get to the point, Doc.

Doc Miyagi: Haven’t you ever heard that patience is a virtue? Anyway, I wasn’t going to stop until I got to the top of the company and spoke to Rock Johnson himself! Because that’s what a good manager does! Instead, I was on a very long call with someone named “Greg”, but honestly, he didn’t have much to say. I was finally able to talk with an assistant to the Assistant General Manager, Caden Young. Her name escapes me, but she sounded like a very attractive young woman. 

Indy hangs his head and shakes it back and forth in a defeated manner, painfully aware that Doc’s story was eating away at time that could be used in training. Sensing his protege’s frustration, Doc finally decides to cut to the chase.

Doc Miyagi: The bottom line is that I fixed everything. No one is sure why your segment was cut from the Netflix broadcast, but in order to make amends they agreed to upload it to YouTube. Here, I’ve already pulled it up on my phone. Have a look…

Doc moves to the apron where Indy is sitting and holds his phone up so they are both able to view the screen. He pushes a button and a video begins to play which shows the following segment...

Following the conclusion of the Zane/Daniel Avers contest, cameras take us backstage where Crystal Ward is standing by alongside one of the many new faces in Project: Honor, “Everyone’s Favorite” Indy Darling. He is sitting in front of a monitor with a lit cigarette hanging precariously between his lips, sunglasses covering his eyes, and a denim jacket with its sleeves rolled up on his forearms. Despite the presence of the backstage reporter, his focus remains on the monitor as it shows some replays of the conclusion to the previous contest.

Crystal Ward: I’m here with Indy Darling, a newcomer among our growing roster of elite competitors. Indy, I couldn’t help but notice your interest in the previous contest. Is competing for the Warrior Rising Championship one of your goals here in Project: Honor?

Indy turns his head toward Crystal, remains expressionless, and gives the camera a slight shrug of his shoulders.

Crystal Ward: I see...uh...Do you have any thoughts you’d like to share about the match or about Zane and Daniel Avers in particular?

Indy slowly reaches up to pinch his cigarette between two fingers, pulls it from his lips, and flicks some ashes on the floor. He then exhales a puff of smoke, yet he remains silent.

Crystal Ward: Okay...Maybe you’d like to comment on another recent signee, namely “The Star” Nat Walker. He was signed on the same day as you, and you replied to the Twitter announcement with, and I quote, “Not a good day to be Nat Walker. Overshadowed much?” Are you looking to have your first match against the self-proclaimed “Star”, or were you simply trying to stir up some controversy with your arrival?

Indy stares blankly at Crystal from behind his reflective sunglasses. He reaches up, takes another drag off his cigarette, and raises a single eyebrow in response to her question.

Crystal Ward: Wow...um...coming up next is an interesting match between Ryan Young and Alejandro Correa. Maybe you’re just waiting to get a good look at these two competitors?

Indy slowly turns his head back to face the monitor, ignoring the question completely. Crystal remains standing silent for a few moments, unsure of what to say or do next. Frustrated with her lack of progress regarding the interview and Indy’s unwillingness to cooperate, the normally calm and collected reporter finally snaps.

Crystal Ward: You know what? Thanks alot for the participation, you jerk. With an attitude like yours, I can’t imagine you making it very far in Project: Honor.

Suddenly, Indy Darling rises from his folding chair in front of the monitor, once again turning to face Crystal Ward and her cameraman. He reaches his hand out to pull Crystal’s microphone close, lowers his sunglasses to the tip of his nose, and finally has some comments to share.

Indy Darling: Look, I’m aware that I am an asshole. But all that stuff you were asking about? I really don’t care about all of that. What I do care about, is perfecting my craft and bringing the excitement, athleticism, and heart of the Indies to the mainstream. Despite the name of the show, I have nothing to prove. Zane, Walker, Avers, Steele, Saint, Watson...honestly, I’m just like you. Only better. And no matter who I face in my debut on the next Proving Ground, you’ll all get to see it for yourselves.

Indy releases Crystal’s hand and the microphone before casually strolling out of the frame. Then, just as a surprised Crystal Ward is about to wrap up the segment, he leans back into the frame with a nonchalant expression and a slight wave of his hand.

Indy Darling: I almost forgot. Hi mom!

And with that, he is once again off the screen, leaving a confused and irritated Crystal Ward to send things back to ringside.

As the video ends, Doc Miyagi pulls his phone back and gives Indy a triumphant smile. The frustrated wrestler, on the other hand, does not seem nearly as pleased as his manager. For a moment there is nothing but silence between them, until Indy flicks his cigarette away and rolls back under the bottom rope. He immediately leaps on top of one of the training dummies to unleash another series of sharp elbow strikes.

Indy Darling: Son of a….

Elbow strike.

Indy Darling: Mother....

Elbow strike.

Doc Miyagi watches on in confusion, believing he has managed to solve the problem. As Indy continues to punish the training dummy, Doc begins to question his student once more.

Doc Miyagi: Look, I know it’s not Netflix, but you’re still going to get your views! Your name will be out there now! The video already has…

Doc pauses to look at his phone before looking back up to the ring.

Doc Miyagi: ...17 hits and 3 likes! That’s good for YouTube, right?

Indy stands back up and plants a solid kick against the training dummy to send it rolling across the ring. He then stands defiantly with his hands on his hips, looking down at his manager.

Indy Darling: Fuck YouTube! This is the kind of bullshit I should have expected, Doc! I thought Project: Honor would be different, but it turns out they’re just like every other mainstream promotion in the world. They sign up independent talent like me just to keep their competition from getting a hold of them, and then once they have them, they ignore everything that made them successful to begin with! They don’t want to showcase my style! They don’t want to put an independent star on their program! What they really want is to mold me into another cookie-cutter character for the masses, and until I conform like a good little soldier, they’re going to keep doing bullshit like this!

Doc Miyagi: Well...I guess...but it could have been a simple mistake…

Indy Darling: They’re afraid of the revolution I represent! They don’t want to bring the independent spirit or style to the mainstream, because they’re afraid that a guy like me will have their fans looking to the indies for more of what I can deliver!

Just then, Doc’s phone dings and he turns his attention away from Indy’s rant to have a look. He raises his eyebrows at what he reads, nods his head, and looks back to his student.

Doc Miyagi: Well if that’s true, you’re about to have a chance to prove them wrong. Hold on to that anger and passion, because you’ve been booked for the next Proving Ground against Alex Slayer, Nat Walker, and Caliban in a Fatal Four Way Rookie Showcase.

For a moment, both men are silent as they consider what this means for their future. Finally, a smirk begins to form on Indy’s face as Doc waits for his full reaction.

Indy Darling: So that’s how they’re going to play it. Put me in the ring with three other guys in an attempt to hide what I can do against a single opponent. Give themselves plenty of opportunities to cut away from what I’m doing to focus on someone else in the match. Call me a “rookie” as if they don’t know I’m the best damn talent they’ve signed since Hell on Earth. Well....

Indy spins around and launches himself at one of the corner turnbuckles, smacking the turnbuckle pad with a roaring elbow.

Indy Darling: ...the joke’s...

He then leaps into a forward roll, pops back onto his feet, and delivers a spinning heel kick to the adjacent turnbuckle.

Indy Darling: ...on…

Indy immediately turns his focus toward the opposite corner of the ring, charges forward, and plants a superkick directly against the turnbuckle pad.

Indy Darling: ...them!

He pauses for a moment, nods his head, and then slowly turns back to his manager.

Indy Darling: Fire up the camera, Doc. We’ve got three guys to put in their place and a company to put on notice.

Doc Miyagi: Ha! Now that’s the spirit, my young Padawan! Let’s kick some ass!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum